Sunday, June 06, 2010

SMALL ROBERT

You lay on my chest, small Robert,
All eight pounds and some ounces
Of You.

Ticking and clicking and clinching,
Startled too, when a door slammed.

You were warm against my chest. small Robert,
Quiet, contented.
Our breathing synchronized, oddly enough.
Perhaps the rhythm of my heart
Was reassuring yours'.

My old right hand looked huge
On your small back.
Patting and stroking,
Enjoying.

Left arm close under your small butt,
Supporting.

Sixteen days of your sojourn
Had gone by.
I was proud to hold you.

Be strong, small Robert,
Grow apace.
Be brother to the human race.
Cherish all that God creates
And long years hence
As life abates,
In your children you will see
Where lies immortality.

I love you, small Robert.

****

Dec 13, 1972

Robert Ernest LaRock; 1920-1978

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Helena said...

Oh my! My eyes were moist while reading that - especially the second time! What a heartwarming tribute to Wee Robert!

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A Tribute to Theatre
The Murugan Theatre. It is one of the theatres in Thiruthangal, a small town near the famous industrial town of Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu. The small town had three theatres in those days (1980s). Chinnaknai Theatre was in the northern corner of the town and Balaji Talkies was at the other end, in the southern corner

We proud inviting you to the the internet's best Social community. www.jeejix.com .

 
At 7:34 PM, Blogger M.ALISE said...

Mantap Kang

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Kathe W. said...

oh small Robert you are so blessed

 
At 8:16 PM, Blogger mareymercy said...

The repeated incantation of 'small Robert' is so endearing.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger Leslie said...

This is quite, quite beautiful.

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Margaret said...

I can close my eyes and remember holding my little ones like this. Just lovely and makes me long to hold a wee one again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home